[RC5] keyrate stabilizing?

daniel carter hedonist at win.co.nz
Tue Oct 16 11:19:47 EDT 2001

Bruce Wilson wrote:

> | > We should be well into 2nd pass of OGR-25 by now.
> | > Could we please have an update like that again? daa?
> | bwilson? anybody?
> | >

> | Even better, why can't we put it on the stats page to be automatically
> | updated? I mean, the calculations really aren't hard :)
>
> It's not a question of calculations, it's a question of the volume of
> data.

total stubs returned / total stubs * 100 = rough % done.

It seems it would be much easier to give a rough percentage complete
figure.  Checking for duplicates and checking the 2nd pass to ensure acuracy
of the returned data does indeed need to be done at some stage,  but for a
simple 'we are about 74% done' figure, couldn't we just count the number of
returned stubs?  Surely duplicate results are neglible in comparision to
valid results and thus would not distort the rough figure too much.

The other inaccuracy in this figure is that each stub contains a different
number of nodes.  So a stub is not an accurate measure of work done.  But
doesn't this average out in the long term, or does the average number of
nodes per stub deviate as we move though the workspace?

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net