[RC5] outside bandwidth usage

Andreas D. Landmark andreas.landmark at noxtension.com
Tue Oct 16 20:24:18 EDT 2001

At 16.10.2001 16:06, Ralph W. Reid III wrote:
>I currently exchange work units with Dnet via email from the LINUX
>box at my ISP for processing on offline DOS systems.  I could
>install dnetc on the LINUX box to send and receive work units (no
>work unit processing) instead of email.  So, which technique is
>likely to use the least amount of bandwidth at the
>distributed.net/internet connection?  A variety of variables may come
>into play, so any serious discussion would be appreciated.

My guestimate is that email is far worse in terms of bandwidth as the
protocol overhead is probably much greater than that of the protocol
used by the perproxy.

However you didn't say how you planned on getting the processed work
from your offline systems over to the online, if you email them in the
firstplace, I'd say the advantage is lost... and managing several
buff-in's is kind-of a nightmare however you do it).

--
Andreas D Landmark / noXtension
Real Time, adj.:

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net