[RC5] outside bandwidth usage

Ralph W. Reid III rreid at virtual.sunset.net
Wed Oct 17 07:19:53 EDT 2001

Andreas D. Landmark fell across a keyboard, resulting in:

>At 16.10.2001 16:06, Ralph W. Reid III wrote:
>>I currently exchange work units with Dnet via email from the LINUX
>>box at my ISP for processing on offline DOS systems.  I could
>>install dnetc on the LINUX box to send and receive work units (no
>>work unit processing) instead of email.  So, which technique is
>>likely to use the least amount of bandwidth at the
>>distributed.net/internet connection?  A variety of variables may come
>>into play, so any serious discussion would be appreciated.
>
>My guestimate is that email is far worse in terms of bandwidth as the
>protocol overhead is probably much greater than that of the protocol
>used by the perproxy.

Actually, I was thinking of using `dnetc' directly to send and
receive work units--I believe the command line syntax is something
like `dnetc -send buff-out.rc5', but I will have to look at the
command line options again to be sure.  I do not handle enough work
units here to warrent a perproxy installation.

The sender then continued:

>However you didn't say how you planned on getting the processed work
>from your offline systems over to the online, if you email them in the
>firstplace, I'd say the advantage is lost... and managing several
>buff-in's is kind-of a nightmare however you do it).

The files are uploaded and downloaded via zmodem.  For uploads, the
buff-out.* files are uploaded to the LINUX box via zmodem, where they
are processed in a shell script I wrote as they are sent toDnet
via metamail.  I request work units via email from
fetch at distributed.net, save the email which comes back, download the
email with the zmodem protocol in my communications software, extract
the buff-in.* file with a program called `MIME64', and put the
resulting buff-in.* file into the dnetc working directory.  These
processes may seem a little involved, but I currently only have
access to two systems to run dnetc on, so it is not as complicated as
it might be.  I always download enough work for a few days at a time
so I do not have to do the download routine every day.

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
COTAN (x) = COS (x) / SIN (x)
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net