[RC5] keyrate stabilizing?

Bruce Wilson bwilson at distributed.net
Wed Oct 17 23:37:39 EDT 2001

Because of the high degree of abuse on all projects, we have implemented
the two-pass method as a deterrent to future abuse.  I like stats and
all, but people who seek out dishonest ways to boost their stats make me
crazy.  Requiring two passes by different participants also increases
the odds it will be done by two different platforms, just in case a bug
exists in a particular version.  We've talked about methods for doing
this before, but because of the potential scientific value of the OGR
project, it seemed like a better than average opportunity to move
forward.

Re: "nothing yet, 74%", we don't know how far we are either, until we
can run the manual process to calculate it.

OPEN INVITATION

Anybody who wants really high stats, please don't waste the bandwidth
and CPU to send us {false|duplicate|stolen} work, and please don't
bother {writing a trojan|hijacking a hotmail account|guessing passwords
for retiring}, just e-mail me with your name and the number of stats
units you want to have.  I'll set up a forged page where you'll always
be as high as you want.  It'll be a real page with real data from all
the other participants, changing every day, down during the stats run,
the works.  You can show it to all your friends and everything.  It
would be a lot less work and headache than what we deal with today.

__

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

| > |
| > | A simple e-mail giving the shortest ruler found so far would
| > | be appreciated,
| > | compared to the shortest one known. This is why the OGR
| > | project exists.
| > |