[RC5] Athlon XP/MP even faster?

Jonathan Smith jsmith at cygnacom.com
Thu Oct 18 13:42:51 EDT 2001

Its possible a faster core could be developed to take advantage of their new
features
but at the moment they run the same core [rc5 core #6 (RG/HB re-pair II)]
that the
Athlons and Tbirds use.

Here is a quick comparison of keys / MHz on the Athlon systems I have access
to.
Original K7, 800 MHz: 2,852,953 keys/sec: ~3566 keys/sec/MHz
Athlon MP 1.2 GHz:    4,230,781 keys/sec: ~3525 keys/sec/MHz

so it looks like with the current core Athlon MPs only scale linearly with
MHz compared
to Original Athlons.  Sorry I don't have numbers from a Thunderbird, but I
can't seem to
log into one at the moment...  Taking a look at what one turned into my
pproxy it looks
like it tracks this line as well, but mixing real world numbers with
benchmark numbers is
a recipe for confusion.

	- Jonathan Smith