[RC5] keyrate stabilizing?

Bruce Wilson bwilson at distributed.net
Thu Oct 18 15:58:54 EDT 2001

I did not say useless, I said relatively useless.  I base that on
conversations with some of our coders, who explained to me that the
instruction does not have many uses in modern applications.  There are
plenty of instructions that /could/ be included in a CPU, and which
would no doubt help certain applications run faster if present.

I don't claim to be a CPU architect, but I do understand that a radical
change in architecture can make certain instructions very costly (speed,
die space, difficulty optimizing) to implement.  It's a simple case of
economics - what instructions will bring the most bang for the least
bucks.  Intel certainly wouldn't have given the instruction such poor
treatment if it was vital to the majority of apps.

__

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

| > |