[RC5] keyrate stabilizing?

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Sat Oct 20 14:40:49 EDT 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> While rotates are useful in this case, and a few other isolated
> places, this is such an edge case that it's just not worth the silicon
> that it'd take to implement a rotate instruction. Not having one
> simplifies the ALU a bunch, and that speeds up the core and leaves
> more room for other things.  Even if a CPU fakes it, like the newest
> intel and AMD chips likely do, you still get a win. (Heck, if all
> tossing rotate out got you was another line in your L1 cache it'd be
> worth it...)

In this day and age I would think that working well on encryption would be
more of a priority for CPU designers.  It hardly seems like an edge
application to someone that uses ssl and ssh on a daily basis.

--
</chris>

Neither sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, or lousy manuals
nor missing parts, or wrong parts shall keep me from my task.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net