AW: [RC5] Athlon XP/MP even faster? K5 faster than K6!

Jack Beglinger jackb_guppy at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 20 16:20:06 EDT 2001

> On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Chris Pollard wrote:
>
> > Yes but keyrate will not be doubled.  You lose Mhz going SMP (NOT
> > literally).
> since rc5 is only running in the processor cache you will get more or less
> double keyrate.

Here is brain drain...

I have dual PPro200 running linux, inside that I have VMWare NT4 server.
(Why? because I can!)

Now... the Linux OS is running 2 threads of DNET one per processor, the
VMWare NT4 Server is running 1 thread.  So in all I have three threads
running.  Using personal proxy Analyzer - I show the two "machines" Linux
and VMWare NT4  - 526204 (10.51%) and 520455 (10.36%) Key rate (overall
% of my network rate).

I would expect that with this setup it would run slower than Linux with only
two threads... Overhead for VMWare and NT... but in reality it comes out
about 2% greater.

I would love to know why... but I don't want it fixed, I like the little extra.

jackb