AW: [RC5] Athlon XP/MP even faster? K5 faster than K6!

Bjoern Martin boris59 at gmx.net
Sun Oct 21 14:59:09 EDT 2001

Hi.

>I was talking about Intel.  I thought (through readings
>elsewhere) that you lost approximately 7.5% Mhz due to
>inefficiency on Intel and about 5% using Athlon.

I think that depends on the application. I think we can
assume all CPUs share the main memory among each other and
run on one bus. So if cpu0 wants to read data from there
the same time cpu1 wants to, they conflict. So if you have
alot of traffic on this bus, the cpus slow down, as they
are idle alot more as if they had the memory for themselves
only.

But in case of the dnet client, they don't access the bus
alot, as the client's core should fit into most L2 caches
of cpus. And regarding the cpu time the client catches, it
is most likely very rarely removed from that cache.

My two eurocents.

Bye,

Boris59

--