[RC5] keyrate stabilizing?

Dan Sugalski dan at sidhe.org
Mon Oct 22 10:52:21 EDT 2001

At 11:34 PM 10/21/2001 -0700, Test Man wrote:
>Is it really true that some CPUs do not have rotate
>instructions? I mean, a rotate is effectively a shift
>register - which is one of the fundamental blocks of
>digital electronics. Even the Sinclair ZX80 had one!
>And rotate/shift instructions are a very quick way of
>multiplying or dividing by powers of 2.

Sure, none of the RISC chips these days have 'em--you won't find rotate in
a Sparc or Alpha instruction set, for example.  Rotate is *not* a shift,
however. You'll find all the CPUs have shifts, both left and right.

					Dan

dan at sidhe.org                         have teddy bears and even
                                      teddy bears get drunk

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net