[RC5] Checkpoint file

Dennis Lubert plasmahh at gmx.net
Wed Oct 24 22:16:13 EDT 2001

At 09:24 24.10.01 -0500, you wrote:
>Shared buffer files are generally a bad idea for most people.  We've
>done as much as possible to make the file access safe, but there are
>still situations where buffer corruption can take place.
>
>Shared checkpoint files are completely out of the question.
>
>If you want to consolidate your work, use a perproxy, and a local
>checkpoint file.  The connection to the proxy will take place only when
>needed, just as the client might connect to the d.net proxy network.  It
>also doesn't require NFS, which some people will remind you stands for
>"No F***ing Security".
Well, this all sounds good, but it doesnt help much. the clients can't have
all their own buffer files, because I run them from my home dir, which is
NFS mounted in the network, so they use all one buffer file. so I wanted to
set them up, with everyone its own checkpoint file.
i also cant run a perproxy, and this wouldnt also avoid that the work after
a few hours for the single machines is lost.

for better understanding : its a university network, and I am allowed to
run the client over night there sometimes, but with my account I have only
my (NFS-mounted) home directory available