[RC5] Checkpoint file

Bruce Wilson bwilson at distributed.net
Wed Oct 24 19:36:23 EDT 2001

You *can* have separate buffer files, using the technique someone else
mentioned of separate config files.  As long as you are setting up a
config file per client, set each config file to use a unique checkpoint
file.

Where buffer files are iffy, shared checkpoint files are absolutely not
an option.  The client assumes it owns the checkpoint file, and rewrites
it every time the work in process is saved.  If you are using checkpoint
files, you *must* guarantee that each client is using a separate config
file.

A clean shutdown of a client will result in all work being saved
properly, checkpoint or not.  The checkpoint file is really intended to
protect against unexpected shutdowns.

__

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net