[RC5] Checkpoint file

Arjan Veenstra Veenstraa at paperfoam.com
Thu Oct 25 10:17:44 EDT 2001

> At 09:24 24.10.01 -0500, you wrote:
> Well, this all sounds good, but it doesnt help much. the
> clients can't have
> all their own buffer files, because I run them from my home
> dir, which is
> NFS mounted in the network, so they use all one buffer file.
> so I wanted to
> set them up, with everyone its own checkpoint file.
> i also cant run a perproxy, and this wouldnt also avoid that
> the work after
> a few hours for the single machines is lost.
>
> for better understanding : its a university network, and I am
> allowed to
> run the client over night there sometimes, but with my
> account I have only
> my (NFS-mounted) home directory available

Is the 'buffer in memory only' option a solution here? If i'm rigth this
will make each client create it's own buffer in memory. The nasty bit here
is that the buffers then will be lost on a shutdown, so you shouldn't buffer
to much and consider setting up a perproxy to reduce the outgoing traffic.
Assuming that internal network load is hardly an issue (at night) you may
set the clients to fetch just a single packet from the perproxy, so there
will no be to much lost.
I'm not completely sure this will fix your problem but it just migth do
so...

Greetz
Arjan Veenstra

--
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
- Douglas Adams
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net