[RC5] RC5 only fetching.-GUI

Malte S. Stretz msquadrat.nospamplease at gmx.net
Wed Oct 31 18:35:26 EST 2001

Hi Tom!

Keep on posting... I did not want to shut you up :) To be true: It's a
point I've been thinking bout for long too and it's really worth being
discussed. And I fully support... who posted it first?... whoevers
suggestion to improve the screensaver. Maybe without a munching
cow/kangaroo/etc. A simple graph plus some stats is enough I think.

But wait... Do you know COWpump [1]? What about building the
"official" screen saver around this tool? Yeah, the WinAmp vis eats up
much cycles but I think it would be really cool... And attract many
non-geeks. In the current c't [2/3] on page 202 there's an article
about the different distributed computing projects [4]. Unfortunately
they didn't publish the article online. Summary: dnet is geeky but
boring; Electric Sheep [5] is geeky and amazing but useless (from the
scientific pov). So let's combine dnet and ES by displaying nifty
graphics of useful data with the WinAmp plugins *g*

So far
Malte

[1] http://www.ratajik.com/COWPump/
[2] http://www.heise.de/ct/