[RC5] When RC5 will be finished...

Mike Henry dnetc at mrtickle.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 20:46:38 EST 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:25:59 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>When we will finish rc5(we might finish it really soon!), most of us will switch to OGR. I don't know the % of cpu time spent on rc5 vs ogr but request for ogr blocks will at least double(and so on with the speed rate).
>
>What I wan't to know is if distributed.net will be able to handle so many request, and also if they are ready to switch to ogr 26 if we complete ogr-25, wich I don't think is the case since they are having trouble to deal with stats with ogr-25. I'm not looking forward to see what it's gonna be with ogr-26!
>
>You comments ??

OGR-24 is still not complete. There is trouble with stats for OGR-24 too
- but it's been going on so long most people have forgotten about it!
(it needs a massive amount of work, and a redesign of the database just
to collate all the results and see if we have finished or not, I
believe)

Personally I think we should halt work on OGR-25 until OGR-24 is
complete, but that's just my opinion.

However, to have *3* unfinished projects on the go (OGR-24, OGR-25 and
OGR-26) after we've finished RC5 would be silly. Let's start 20 projects
all at the same time and never finish any of them! :-)

I don't think we should even discuss which projects to do next yet. And
when we've decided which project is next in line for our CPU time, I
think we should finish all three current projects completely before
starting the new one.

Please - can we just finish OGR-24 and OGR-25 first? Then why not pump
all resources into RC5 and blitz it?

I'd prefer that we do not start another OGR project until and unless we
can sort out the stats problems - working out a way of keeping the %age
progress on the website up to date, working out a way of validating
stubs so that we don't need two passes, etc.

Cheers
Mike
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net