[RC5] VIA C3

Enoch enojon at ATTGLOBAL.NET
Thu Sep 6 02:43:52 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Cordes" <peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca>
To: <rc5 at lists.distributed.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: [RC5] VIA C3

A 466mhz Celeron turns out about 1.3 M keys/sec @ $40-49.per chip
A 600mhz C3 turns out about 738K keys/sec @ $40-45 per chip

> > Maybe L2 cache size of the C3?
>
>  That wouldn't make any sense.  We're talking about RC5.  The core
> doesn't touch enough memory to use anything more than the L1 cache,
> and the inner loop fits entirely in registers.  Even L1 cache speed
> should have almost no effect on RC5 keyrate.  (within reason - turning
> it off in the BIOS setup will have a huge effect, mostly because that
> would turn off the L1 instruction cache as well!  Ouch!)

I'll check, but last time I stuck a C3 into the "as is" 466mhz unit
and rated as 1/2 (or 1/3) of Celeron performance with equal cache
settings and speed of memory.   [took a DOS floppy booted under
Celeron power, then swapped out chip for C3 and re-booted same
DOS floppy, and Cache L1 and L2 were turned on in the BIOS]

I also used the same "cooling fan" per chip.

A non-cooled 200mhz Power PC chip hits approx 80% of the C3 600mhz
performance--unless I have some bogus chips (MII's masquerading as MIII's)
but the BIOS recognizes them as MIII.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net