[RC5] keys stuck in a loop??

waldo kitty wkitty42 at alltel.net
Fri Sep 14 19:36:37 EDT 2001

Mike Henry wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:14:24 -0400, waldo kitty wrote:
>
> >Bruce Wilson wrote:
> >>
> [...]
> >
> >i'm running a perproxy here servicing a dozen machines on the internal
> >network and possibly a few from outside... the reason i have them
> >configured in such a "short stack" is that i highly dislike waiting
> >hours or days to find out that something is wrong... that's also why i
> >dumped OGR processing... these machines range from 486-33 to celeron 300
> >with at least one amd k6-450 in the bunch...
> >
> >also, i very much disliked going to the stats pages and seeing the
> >entries "bouncing around" as keys were dumped in in large bulks every
> >other day or so... with the current configuration, the graph is very
> >smooth instead of hugely spikey and i also get a better idea of my daily
> >average unit processing without having to do any math...
>
> How lazy.

gimme a break... there's more to it than that... that's all i cared to
mention... so what... you do know what a perproxy is, right? we won't
even mention the question of wanting to know ASAP about the winning rc5
key, eh? oh, i wasn't going to mention that...

> >> Connecting every 20 minutes is wasteful in other ways, too.  By
> >> connecting 72 times a day, you are putting an unnecessary load on our
> >> network, and reducing your effective keyrate.
> >
> >that's why i have them configured to have at least one key in the buffer
> >at all times... one waiting, one being processed... the background
> >threads should take care of sending completed and receiving new units
> >while the client handled that second key that was waiting...
>
> How utterly selfish. Never mind the excessive load you're placing on
> distributed.net - as long as you have a nice pretty graph and don't have
> to do any maths yourself, that's all you care about?

show some proof that i am creating any excessive load... dnet has so
much traffic hitting them all the time that my stuff is miniscule at
best... again, you do know what a perproxy is, right? i don't care that
my internal network has traffic on it... lack of blinking lights gets me
antsy and looking for why there's no activity... the perproxy buffers
the returned units for return in "groups" or "clumps" or whatever one
wants to call them...

--
       _\/
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net