[RC5] keys stuck in a loop??

waldo kitty wkitty42 at alltel.net
Mon Sep 17 15:04:42 EDT 2001

Bruce Wilson wrote:

> The general guideline is "the larger the better," though there are
> several legitimate reasons you may not want to request the max size.
[...]
> Since each computer is different, we don't really have a standard
> suggestion for a given CPU.  The page at
> http://www.distributed.net/speeds may be helpful, but a full benchmark
> is probably your best bet.

i'll see about arranging time on each of them to run the benchmarks and
come up with something... it's easy enough to grep the proxy logs and
pull out the info needed to calculate a keyrate for each machine if
needed... of course, the client's logs will also show that info if they
remain on the drive after emailing them to the 'coordinator'...

> Try to arrange your computers so they only
> need to check in for work a couple of times a day.

i'll try to keep that in mind...

> As you pointed out, your proxy is helping to minimize the network
> traffic by communicating with the proxies less frequently, but working
> on 1*2^28's is making those transmissions "fatter", because a 1*2^28
> takes just as much room as a 32*2^28.  This means that your
> communication with our servers is 32 times as big as it would be if you
> worked exclusively on 32's.  That is truly network bandwidth - only the
> handshaking and overhead is really "saved" by the proxy.

ahh... that and the way they have to be 'consolidated' is interesting
and i assume its simply due to the way that the keyspace is arranged?

> After the fullproxy receives it, those 32 packets must then be
> transferred to the keymaster, another network bandwidth question.  The
> keymaster has to mark 32 individual units finished instead of 1.  The
> logs from the keymaster are then sent to the stats server (more network
> bandwidth).  Only at this point is the work of each participant
> summarized down to a single total for the day.

yes, i was aware of this but not the number of packets...

> Finally, the logs from the keymaster are also burned on CDs.  With 32
> times as many log entries, we would go through CD's faster with 1's than
> with 32's.

excellent idea for 'bookkeeping' <<GG>>

> Incidentally, this network traffic is also part of the reason we have
> chosen to go with longer work units for OGR.  We are very comfortable
> with work units that take several days to complete.  Most participating
> computers are very stable, and fairly fast.  We try to set the defaults
> to values that will make good use of moderately fast computers without
> unduly punishing those with older hardware.

understand... we'll see what i come up with... shouldn't be anything too
'rough' i don't think <<GG>>

--
       _\/
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net