[RC5] keys stuck in a loop??

Paul Goyette paul at whooppee.com
Tue Sep 18 14:43:21 EDT 2001

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Dean Morrell wrote:

> >Up until yesterday, I had a Mac IIci (25MHz 68030) cracking at the
> >glacial pace of 1*2^28 per 9 hours!  The machine has now been mercifully
> >retired!
>
> This thing needs a decommissioning with full honors!  How many years
> of service?

The box has been running nearly 24x7 for more than eight years - it has
been doing RC5-64 for almost one year.  Of course, that's not very many
work units.  Let's see, 1*2^28 in 9 hours, that's about 2.7 work units
per day, maybe a total of 800 or 900 units?   :)

Thank goodness I've got a few slightly faster machines helping out:

	1 - P-II 333MHz
	1 - P-II (or maybe it's a P-III) 450MHz
	1 - P-III 733MHz
	1 - Dual P-III 1.0GHz
	1 - DEC Alpha 21164 533MHz
	2 - P-II 350MHz at work
	1 - P-II 366MHz laptop

And possibly one or two more that I've lost track of.   :)

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Network Engineer | BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul at whooppee.com   |
|  & World Cruiser | 91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 | pgoyette at juniper.net |

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net