[RC5] Question... Dual Athlon PC

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Thu Sep 20 08:29:46 EDT 2001

There have been the following Athlon cores (I'm not bothering with the
Duron's which are derivatives):

K7: The original .25 micron core, cache SRAM was externally to the chip and
ran at a fraction of the core frequency.  All were Aluminum made in Fab 25
in Austin

K75: The K7 core with a process shrink to .18, also aluminum made in Fab 25.

Thunderbird: Cache SRAM integrated into chip and running at full core
frequency.  Originally Al made in Fab 25, then a mix of Al and Cu from Fab
30, now all Cu from Fab 30.  100% of the straight "Athlon" processors you
buy today are T-birds.  They are still in production.  Nobody has announced
whether there are new wafer starts being made, but they're the only desktop
Athlon's being sold.  The K7/K75 has been gone for a long time and the
Athlon XP isn't out yet.

Palomino: The palomino is branded as the Athlon MP and the Athlon 4.  The
desktop version will be released soon, probably branded Athlon XP (ARGH!).
All three of these processors will come of the same line using the same die.
Packaging may be different for different applications, but there is nothing
different about the processors themselves.  "SmartMP" is marketing speak for
the 760MP chipset architecture and the use of hardware prefetch.  The core
improvements include:
    Hardware Prefetch
    SSE (3DNow! Pro)
    Larger, Exclusive TLB's
    Powernow (enabled in BIOS, but present in all Palomino chips)
    Lower Power consumption at given frequency (designed from the ground up
to only be made in Cu at Fab 30, never in Al at Fab 25)

I don't want to run this into the ground.  The information here has been
much publicized by the various hardware websites.  Alas, I hold a few AMD
shares and follow product development very closely.