[RC5] name resolution

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Sun Sep 23 22:57:54 EDT 2001

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 lost at l-w.net wrote:

> Is there any particular reason that dnetc needs "nslookup" to resolve
> domain names when running under Linux? This strikes me was rather
> restricting; not every system has nslookup installed and considering
> that ISC is deprecating nslookup another solution should probably be
> found.
>
> Regardless, shouldn't the requirement be documented? I installed dnet
> on a Linux system that did not have nslookup installed and was
> wondering why it insisted on doing random blocks. This was especially
> mystifying since every other application on the system could resolve
> domain names.

I couldn't believe this, but it looks like he's right:

[chicks at yakko rc5]$ strings dnetc | grep nslook
./nslookup.out
cat ./nslookup.out
./nslookup.sh

There's some stuff in there to parse the output of it as well.  What's
wrong with gethostname???

--
</chris>

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them
down?  We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net