[RC5] dnet's servers won't give out big blocks

Bruce Wilson bwilson at distributed.net
Mon Sep 24 20:43:42 EDT 2001

Hi, Chris.

Yes, if your proxy checks in less frequently, it will tend to suck up a
few small work units and then receive a block of larger units.  Don't
overdo this either, but it's a good technique to improve the efficiency
of your network and ours.  If your threshold isn't at the max, you might
improve your average by picking an even larger work unit size.  This
will mean you get some blocks larger than you expected, but on balance
you'll be closer to your desired average.

As you may have noticed from OGR (and as I may have already mentioned)
we are not afraid of work units that take several days to complete.
Anyone concerned about the stability of their computer or interruptions
from nightly shutdowns should investigate the "checkpoint" feature.

The documentation for the perproxy explains how you can decrease the
frequency at which the proxy tries to connect.  I don't know of any
specific version limitations for RC5-64, but that doesn't mean there
aren't any.  In general, the latest available version is your best bet
unless we specifically warn against it.  Newer clients often have
improvements to the core speed, better stability and more features.

__

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)