[RC5] Hard Drives Powering Down

Scott Dodson gsi22419 at gsaix2.cc.gasou.edu
Fri Apr 12 15:28:36 EDT 2002

Ray,

You can tell the client not to write to the disk. You
can do this by running the client with the -config
option and then going to option 2, then selecting
option 1 which allows you to buffer only in memory.

Only do this if you keep small buffers, otherwise you
run the risk of losing all buffers if your machine
goes down.  I would only do this on a machine with a
constant connection and i would keep my buffer numbers
as low as possible.  This won't prevent it from spinning
up the drives in all cases, but it should reduce how
often it happens.

--
scott

--
Scott Dodson  EDCA2785        5CF0 D9A7 7DA0 9459 45E0
gsi22419 at gsaix2.cc.gasou.edu  1790 A5F0 26CB EDCA 2785
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net