[RC5] dnet processing power?

Dennis Lubert plasmahh at gmx.net
Mon Apr 22 10:35:01 EDT 2002

At 20:14 21.04.02 -0700, you wrote:
>A new computer in Japan is cabable of 35,600 gigaflops, now how would
>dnet compare to this?

Well, its hard to compare dnet to it. gigaflops means "billions of FLOATING
POINT operations per second" but dnetc uses integer arithmetics (like
bitshifting/rotating for rc5). Another had thing to compare is different
architecture. On some processors one rc5 cycle might need 200 processor
cycles, while on another it needs 600 or even more. So one can't really
calculate the "mips" from rc5 keyrates. rc5 is generally a bad benchmark
value.

At least my computer seems to need ~ 357 processor cycles for one key.
At the current rate (299 GKeys), if every computer would use its processor,
dnet would do 106,817,970 MIPS. If you take the overall rate, its "only"
34,990,725.609 MIPS (If then, we had processors at that speed, which
calculate one key at 1 cycle, instead of 357, we would exhaust keyspace in
~12 hours *G*)

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net