[RC5] new project idea

Tom Laermans tom.laermans at powersource.cx
Tue Apr 23 02:57:41 EDT 2002

At 22:20 22/04/2002, you wrote:
> > Perhaps this has been considered, but what about distributed scanning
> > for open mail relays and tying into ORDB or a similar service?
> >
> > What do you guys think?
>
>I like it.  Currently ORDB faces the problem that SMTP admins that want
>spammers to use their servers can set rules to ignore any IP traffic
>from ORDB servers by IP address.  But if every IP address in the world
>could be used to check for open SMTP servers they wouldn't be able to
>block by IP.

- Scanning is not allowed in most countries
- Takes up valuable bandwidth
- Will your own ISP get blacklisted?
- ...

I don't really see a point to it..

Use several, know and unknown, rbl's and they won't be able to block each
and every one of them.

Tom

Web: http://www.powersource.cx --- ICQ#: 12120754
Forum: Schrijf je in! http://forum.powersource.cx