[RC5] new project idea

Jeff Palmer scorpio at drkshdw.org
Mon Apr 22 22:30:48 EDT 2002

At 12:27 PM 4/22/2002 -0300, you wrote:
>Perhaps this has been considered, but what about distributed scanning
>for open mail relays and tying into ORDB or a similar service?

<snip>

I don't know what the general communities feelings are.  However:
Most RBL services have gone away, have had lawsuits against them, or
currently have lawsuits against them.

I'd rather see DCTI put an effort into distributed computing,   rather than
netiquette and politics.  Especially when said politics can have legal
ramifications.

I for one do not feel like being a part of any lawsuit, and would VERY
quickly remove the client from all my machines if such a project were
undertaken.

Don't get me wrong,  I'm all for anti-spam measures, and I do implement
RBL's and spamassasin* at the server level.  RBL's have their place. But I
don't think that place is on my machines, or in a distributed computing effort.

(spamassassin uses razor as well as automatic whitelisting,  a definate
thumbs up to the spamassassin people. Pardon my shameless plug,  I am not
associated with anyone from spamassasin.)

Thanks for taking the time to hear my opinion.

Jeff Palmer

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net