[RC5] new project idea

Thayne Forbes thayne at xmission.com
Mon Apr 22 22:01:47 EDT 2002

I know that you got a lot of negative replies to this idea, but I wrote a
similar bit of code about a month ago to look up hostnames of every possible
address on a network.  The purpose of this bit of lunacy was to then feed
them into a bit of code that looks for likely names for porn sites.  Turns
out I have found much better ways for mapping the Porniverse, but that was a
fun bit of code while it lasted.

Your idea is much more useful.  I would love to write a client for THAT.  It
would, however, most likely have the same problem that mine had.
Specifically, the number of outgoing packets exceeded my allowable "upload"
quota on my ISP in a couple of days.  However, that would not be nearly as
big an obstacle if the work were throttled somewhat, and distributed.
Additionally, distributed clients would allow for full coverage of an IP
space while not looking like a scanner.  (This is an even more fun bit of
code that I haven't yet written.)

Let me know if any of this sounds like something you are interested in.  I
will still be working on the pornsite scanner regardless.