[RC5] How to setup the client for...?

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Sat Apr 27 01:40:42 EDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Zorba the Hutt wrote:

> Two words:
>
> State lottery.
>
> At least dnet is free. (not counting electricity, but, hey, if it's not
> obvious you can ignore it.)

	And labor costs. I'm sure I've put quite a few hours into d.net over
the last four years... and I'm just counting time spent messing with the
client itself, not stats-checking or dnet-list-mailing time.

	State lotteries have a higher monetary cost, but the potential
payoff is also *much* higher. And I'm of the opinion that anyone who enters
a lottery for the money is also in serious need of a lesson in probability,
anyway.

	I don't enter lotteries because there's no reason to do so *other*
than the money... and doing it for the money is a lousy bet. I run RC5
although I have no expectation of winning the prize, because there are other
reasons to do so. I'm making a small contribution towards proving a point
that I think needs to be made... and it gives me some numbers I can point at
when I want to brag about my dual-proc XP 1900+.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD: Lottery: n. A tax on people who are bad at math.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net