Installer question - probably a bug - was Re: [RC5] New clients now available

Jeff Lawson jlawson at bovine.net
Tue Dec 3 13:39:04 EST 2002

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, David Burg wrote:

> I've notice that the installer ask to reboot at the end of the procedure.
> This looks like a bug. Under windows 2000 that I'm running, the client
> should be register as a service (and not added to startup group (which is ok
> for w9x platforms) as offer by the installer option, bug number 2) and
> services can absolutely be stop and restarted without rebooting the
> computer.

Our Windows installer has always been targeted primarily at users who want
simplicity and only start the client interactively as a Start Menu
shortcut.  Running as a service has the problem that it provides very
little opportunity for the user to interact with it, configure it, or
ensure that it is running okay.

Running the client as a service is something that we would prefer to
recommend only to "advanced" users that understand the impact of doing
that.  Making it too easy to perform a hidden install has also led to
problems with unauthorized stealth installs, as you may know.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net