[RC5] New Intel compilers...

Andreas Landmark andreas.landmark at noxtension.com
Mon Dec 9 18:08:27 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:42:41PM +0100, Richard Menedetter wrote:
> Hi Slawek!
>
> 09 Dec 2002, "Slawek" <sgp at telsatgp.com.pl> wrote:
>
>  >> That won't matter at all for dnetc, the fast cores are all written
>  >> in assembler.
>  S> In my tests Intel Compiler generated about faster core for single pipe
>  S> that any of the assembler versions included (almost as fast as SES
>  S> 2-pipe).
> For which CPU ??
>
> For P4 ... could be possible, because of its enormously castrated design.
> For P3, athlon et al IMHO not very likely.

It's kindof self-explanatory why it doesn't work magic for Athlon, you
can't really expect Intel SoftwareEngineers to sit and optimize their
compiler (which is a defacto showcase for their cpu-features) for the
core of their main (and almost only) rival?

--
Andreas D Landmark / noXtension
Be wary of strong drink.  It can make you shoot at tax collectors and
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net