[RC5] eEye and d.net

Greg Childers jgchilders at uk-alumni.org
Tue Dec 10 08:47:43 EST 2002

Hi,

>Out of curiosity, are there any open-source distributed computing projects
>out there? How did they get around the security problems?

The efforts to solve the Certicom ECC challenges have all been open
source.  But they benefit from the fact that there's no easier way to find
the "distinguished points" they collect than to run the client.  If someone
in an effort to cheat finds an easier way, then they've made a breakthrough
in the problem.  Also, most of the distributed factoring efforts are open
source.  There, someone could claim to have searched a range without doing
it.  For the most part, I believe the organizers simply trust the users not
to do so.

Greg

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net