[RC5] Why does Pentium 3 process faster than Pentium 4?

Andrew MacKenzie andy at edespot.com
Wed Dec 11 00:26:24 EST 2002

+++ Jim Reisert AD1C [dnet] [Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 08:51:03PM -0500]:
> I have three machines running the RC5-72 client.  They are idle during the
> day, so 99% of computes go to the project (no screen savers or any
> background tasks running). Here are the keyrates for the three
> machines.  The rate of the P4 is the same as the rate of the faster P3, but
> is running at 1.7 GHz instead of 0.9 GHz.  What gives?
Well, contrary to what Intel would have you believe, clockspeed isn't the
most important factor in determining a chips speed.  A lesser clocked
Athlon, or G4 can perform admirably against faster clocked P4's.  A lot of
this has to do with the depth of the chips pipe-line, and the number of
instructions executed per clock (IPC).

The P4 is also a slightly different architecture than the PIII.  Some
things have changed that effect dnet on it.

There is some good info on CPU's is here:
http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=50

--
// Andrew MacKenzie  |  http://www.edespot.com
// Your system which soared