Fwd: [RC5] Why does Pentium 3 process faster than Pentium 4?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at rug.ac.be
Wed Dec 11 10:17:14 EST 2002

On woensdag, dec 11, 2002, at 09:51 Europe/Brussels, Julian Ruhe wrote:

> Something more to read: G4 in SPEC by c't magazine
> http://www.heise.de/ct/english/02/05/182/

The problem is that SPEC is only a benchmark for how well a certain
processor (not system, just processor) performs when executing code
generated by a particular compiler. Just like dnetc (with hand-tuned
cores) only tells you how well a processor (not system) performs when
using hand-tuned assembler routines. Neither gives you the full picture.

In general, a complete system contains a mixture of the two (low-level
and/or speed critical routines offered by the OS are most likely very
optimized and hand-tuned, while the higher levels - such as
applications - are most likely just generated by a compiler) and a lot
of other factors beside cpu speed come into play (graphics card, hard
disk, amount of memory, bus speed, caches, ...). Anyway, I think the
discussion of "which processor is best" (or which system is best) has
been fought out already so many times all over the web and usenet (and
probably still is being fought out :) that we really shouldn't rehash
it yet another time on this list...

Jonas

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net