[RC5] Suggestion

Michael Shannon MichaelS at towersoft.com.au
Mon Dec 16 15:47:18 EST 2002

> The only time this happens is when you go from 2.8 to 2.9 version
> clients.  This will not happen again until the buffer format changes.
> All other upgrades will simply restart the block that is currently
> being worked on.

That's exactly what people are complaining about.  This is the scenario:

- a slow machine is cracking a key
- it spends a long time (many hours or even days) getting to a certain
point (say 80% done)
- the machine crashes, the client is restarted, etc.
- when the client is fired up again, it chooses a different core and
starts the same key from the start
- all the work previously done is lost

Now, if a person regularly shuts down at the end of the day and comes
back online the next, there's a very real possibility that they'll be
endlessly cracking *the same key*.  It's like trying to ride from one
town to the next on an exercise cycle - you'll do a lot of work but you
won't get anywhere.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster
michaels at towersoft.com.au

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net