[RC5] Around the Globe

Bruce Wilson bwilson at distributed.net
Thu Dec 19 09:42:48 EST 2002

Clearly, we are not all running at 3 Ghz, though by the time we
finish, it could be the average CPU rate per participant.

An optimization of one clock cycle per key across all cores is pretty
unlikely.  Some of the cores test two or four keys in parallel, so a
single clock savings in the calculation would allow two (or four) keys
each to be processed in one less cycle, saving two (or four) cycles
overall.

Obviously, our overall keyrate is lower today than it will be by the
time the project is finished.  Faster CPUs, more participants and
better cores will all help with that end.

I overheard one of the coders saying that the code for RC5-72, since
it already manages three 32-bit chunks per key, should be scalable as
far as RC5-96 without major reoptimization.  Just in case we find the
answer tomorrow.  :-)

__

"I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory."
    --John Cash, id Software

Kempen