[RC5] RC5-72, and Unicos?

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Fri Dec 27 15:57:57 EST 2002

Hello.

 I noticed there is now a new RSA challenge.

 I own a 32 cpu Cray J932se system. Although I don't have the OS or
compilers (yet), I was wondering if the vector processors would be good or
bad at contributing to the project?

 Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about the advantages of Vector
CPUs, and if they would be good when applied towards something like the
RC5 challenge.

 Assuming I can afford to power the system (90 amps @ 220vac rated) and
get the compilers and OS (Cray wants $20k, can I sweet talk them for
non-commercial use?) I would love to get our team back together and push
for the top.

 The system was purchased used on the surplus market, and is privately
owned.

 Anyone familiar enough with the operations of cracking RSA, and Cray /
Unicos and Vector CPUs to tell me if this machine would be useful and
outperform a good number of P3 systems?

 I do see some reference to people on a cypherpunks list talking about
cracking 512bit RSA using Crays, but they weren't specific if it was a
vector or MPU system. And of course, the programming plays a huge part in
it. This particular application shouldn't require parallelization?

					-- Ethan / 757.org

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net