[RC5] RC5-72, and Unicos?

Michael Pelletier mvpel at nortelnetworks.com
Sat Dec 28 09:52:39 EST 2002

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Ethan wrote:

>  I own a 32 cpu Cray J932se system. Although I don't have the OS
> or compilers (yet), I was wondering if the vector processors
> would be good or bad at contributing to the project?
>
>  Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about the advantages of
> Vector CPUs, and if they would be good when applied towards
> something like the RC5 challenge.

If you look at the http://n0cgi.distributed.net/faq/cache/264.html
page, check out the PowerPC G4 with the AltiVec unit - it stomps the
rest of the CPUs in keys/s/MHz, because of the vector processing
capabilities of the AltiVec.

I would expect that a properly tuned RC5 core on a 32-CPU Cray would
fairly rock.

You've got me wondering now about boolean processors on a Quickturn
machine...

	-Michael Pelletier.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net