[RC5] The good'ol days (was: Tell me..)

Scott Dodson gsi22419 at gsaix2.cc.gasou.edu
Tue Feb 5 22:14:36 EST 2002

On 05-Feb-2002, daniel carter wrote:
> 3)When the list was used, it was not just for critical announcements.
> For instance when new clients came out they were sometimes announced on
> this list.  And there were weekly "state of the distributed net"
> announcements.
>
> What it is right now is nothing, it's not a mailing list because there
> is no mail.  The last post was almost 3 years ago on 28-Feb-1998
> announcing that DES-II-1 had been completed.

I agree with this. I think there's definately been a horrible change in
visibility.  It's all hum-drum, only those who are interested in stats
are pleased when .plans talk about stats.  I miss the days when things
were more personal.  Even in the IRC channel rarely is any of the goings on
of distributed.  The last time I heard much activity was when OGR was rolled
out.

I think the user community should demand atleast a monthly or quarterly
state of the net address as was given before.  I had forgotten how things
have been.  It's been a long time for some of us.

--
Scott Dodson  EDCA2785        5CF0 D9A7 7DA0 9459 45E0
gsi22419 at gsaix2.cc.gasou.edu  1790 A5F0 26CB EDCA 2785