[RC5] Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:10:38 -0000

Robert A. Rosenberg Bob.Rosenberg at digitscorp.com
Thu Feb 14 00:18:21 EST 2002

At 19:43 -0500 on 02/11/2002, John Campbell wrote about Re: [RC5]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:10:38 -0000:

>We start rechecking the keys returned by some dubious clients...
>like the 10,000 blocks my Netware server sent back unchecked one night
>before I figured out what it was doing and killed the client.
>
>	Given that we've got more than a quarter of the keyspace still
>unchecked, I wouldn't start worrying about it yet, though.

WHY do we have that much still to do? I've been participating for
over 3 years and i KNOW that we have cycled through the full range at
least 4-6 times in that period. I assume that on most of those passes
only non-returned blocks were supposed to be being handed out but we
still have not found the key yet. WHY is this? The only reason I can
see is that each range is NOT being 100% handed out before a new
range is selected to be handed out. What is the FAILURE TO RETURN
rate? This might gave a good idea of why we are recycling over and
over and never finding the correct block (assuming that Ranges are
not being abandoned prior to 100% of the unreturned blocks from prior
passes are actually handed out).
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net