[RC5] installing the client under mac os X

Jonas Maebe Jonas.Maebe at rug.ac.be
Thu Jan 3 14:43:37 EST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, frank wrote:

> the d.net site suggests i need to use the cli to further extract the files -
> but will stuffit have done this for me?

Yes.

> does anyone have any experience of this flavour of client and any advice
> they can offer. i'm not up to speed on the unix heart of os x yet, and i
> suspect this client belongs in there somewhere. where should i be installing
> it?

The best (most Mac OS X-like) way is to create a startup item for it:

1) log in as an administrator user
2) open terminal and type the following:
  a) cd /Library
  b) mkdir StartupItems (it's possible that this directory alredy
     exists)
  c) cd StartupItems
  d) mkdir Distributed.net
  e) cd Distributed.net
  f) pico -w Distributed.net

paste the following in the resulting window (without the "***"):

***
#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

##
# Start up The Distributed.net client
##

if [ "${DISTRIBUTEDNET:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]; then

    ConsoleMessage "Starting Distributed.net client"
    /usr/local/bin/dnetc -quiet -priority 0

fi
***

  g) type ctrl-o, <return>, ctrl-x
  h) pico -w StartupParameters.plist

paste the following in the resulting window (without the "***"):

***
{
  Description     = "Distributed.net client";
  Provides        = ("Distributed.net");
  Requires        = ("Resolver");
  OrderPreference = "None";
  Messages =
  {
    start = "Starting distributed.net client";
    stop  = "Stopping distributed.net client";
  };
}
***

  i) type ctrl-o, <return>, ctrl-x
  j) copy dnetc (and possibly dnetc.ini and it's buffers if you already
configured your client) to /usr/local/bin (it's possible you first have to
create that directory using "mkdir /usr/local/bin") by going to the
directory where your dnetc program currently is and typing "cp dnetc
dnetc.ini buf* /usr/local/bin".
  k) sudo pico -w /etc/hostconfig (you'll be asked for your admin
password)

add the line

DISTRIBUTEDNET=-YES-

at the bottom of that file. Do a ctrl-o and then ctrl-x to save the
changes.

Now, the next time you restart your computer, the distributed.net client
will be automatically started. You don't have to restart the system now to
activate the client of course, just go to /usr/local/bin and type

sudo dnetc -quiet -priority 0 &

to start it for now.

That's it, I hope I didn't forget a step and that there aren't too many
typo's in my instructions ... (note that due to a bug in SystemStarter,
your system will *NOT* boot anymore if you leave out the "Provides" entry
from the StartupParameters.plist; you'll have to boot in single user mode
to be able to fix that problem if you remove that line. So don't remove it
:)

Also note that even though the distributed.net client sets itself to
"idle" priority if you use the above commands, that idle proirity is
currently not treated in a special way on Mac OS X, it simply means
"lowest priority". This means that the dnetc client will always get some
processor time, even if another application with a normal or high priority
could use everything available (up to 20% if only one other program is
also trying to get most of the cpu time). For that reason, if you want to
play a processor intensive game or do some other cpu-intensive task, it's
best to pause the dnetc client temporarily by opening an terminal window
and typing

sudo dnetc -pause

Afterwards, you can unpause it again using

sudo dnetc -unpause.

Apple is aware of both the SystemStarter bug and the idle priority issue
(though the latter is not a real bug strictly speaking, just a matter
interpretation) and intends to fix them in a "future release of Mac OS X".

Jonas

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net