[RC5] RC5: general client question

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Tue Jan 15 20:52:54 EST 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Ryan Malayter wrote:

> The buffers are now basically first-in,first-out, so you should be okay. But
> why is your buffer so big? Do you remain disconnected for long periods of
> time?

	A thousand blocks ain't so much these days. My main workstation's a
dual-proc 1.6GHz Palomino... it'll rip through 3000-4000 blocks a day, easy.
I had to do some coaxing to convince my pproxy to buffer enough blocks to
keep the beast crunching through a weekend offline. If you're only flushing
buffers once a day (not everyone's got an always-on connection), a thousand
blocks is barely enough to keep a recent CPU busy. If you want enough margin
of error to keep it off random blocks if you miss a flush or two, it takes
still more.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  The primary cause of failure in electrical appliances is an expired
warranty.  Often, you can get an appliance running again simply by changing
the warranty expiration date with a 15/64-inch felt-tipped marker.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net