[RC5] Criminal Charges Settled In Distributed-Computing Case

Scott Dodson gsi22419 at gsaix2.cc.gasou.edu
Fri Jan 18 17:53:06 EST 2002

On 26-Aug-2001, TD - Sales International Holland B.V. wrote:
> On Friday 18 January 2002 11:42, you wrote:
>
> I don't know where those bozo's get their bandwidth but if I were them I'd
> find a cheaper provider.... 59c a second for bandwidth? geez.... I can
> consume as much as I want a month long for like 45$ ?! (512kbit down 64up)

So bandwidth is the only thing you pay for in order to utilize a computer?
You don't pay for electricity?  You don't pay to have hardware replaced
after it's worn out?  You don't have to pay someone to remove software from
about a thousand machines?

These may not be a concern to you at home, but they're a concern to Georgia
Board of Regents.  It's also a concern because the software wasn't in their
list of authorized software.  We all know/assume that the software isn't
buggy, but what happens if it were?  Are student's records compromised?

You need to look at the whole spectrum of things.  As a student in the
University System of Georgia, and also an employee of my campus's ITS I
know that the BOR and OIT spend a whole lot of time determining what software
is to be distributed, when things that weren't intended to be installed
slip into the picture it's major headaches.  We weren't allowed to install
SP2 for Win2k for months until software compatability issues with software
used throughout campus were resolved.  You'll find that most corperate
environments operate in much the same way.

With all that aside, the machines weren't his.  He didn't own their processing
power, he stole it.

--
Scott Dodson  EDCA2785        5CF0 D9A7 7DA0 9459 45E0
gsi22419 at gsaix2.cc.gasou.edu  1790 A5F0 26CB EDCA 2785