[RC5] Criminal Charges Settled In Distributed-Computing Case

Aaron W. Swenson aswenson at frontiernet.net
Mon Jan 21 13:23:38 EST 2002

I agree that this man did "steal" processing power, even if they weren't
going to be used.

However, it does not cost fifty-nine cents a second, and I would assume
that these computers have some centeral computer that they log into.  All
the tech person needs to do is write a short perl script that runs at
login, and BAM!!!, they're all deleted, no foot traffic.

And we've had this conversation before.  A computer uses the electricity
equivalent to an 80-100W bulb when idle (with d.net running).  The truth is
that the real power hungry stuff is your graphics card, monitor, HDD (when
active), and CD-ROM drive.  The CPU could be included in this, but only
when it is running a very intensive game.  D.net only exercises one portion
of the CPU, not all three.  My guess is that the board would have enforced
every single power saving option those computers could support.  The only
thing that D.net would interfere with, is the sleep mode of the CPU and HDD
(which you wouldn't want to spin down in the first place, as it strains the
components.)  And I highly doubt this guy made it so that the computers
couldn't be shut off, it was at the boards discretion.  The board is just
looking to turn a profit off this guy that most likely can't afford it.