[RC5] rc5 and 2xPowerPC-RS64-III

Scott Dodson gsi22419 at gsaix2.cc.gasou.edu
Fri Jun 14 01:35:28 EDT 2002

On 14-Jun-2002, Lukasz P wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new here. Welcome all rc5-guys :-). I have RS 7025 6F1 with
> 2xPowerPC-RS64-III (650 MHz) and AIX 4.3.3. I
> installed rc5 client from http://distributed.net. I would like to maximize
> efficiency processors. Can you tell me how?
> I made only ...
> nice -n 0 dnetc
> from root account.
>
> I have strange situation. I have PC with one Duron 650 MHz processor, too.
> This computer count faster rc5-blocks (4, 5 times) than my pSeries.
> Can you tell me, how is it possible?

I wouldn't suggest running the process at any higher priority than its
default.  The program is already configured to use all available processor
cycles, setting it at higher priority would steal time from other processes
which may be vital to the health of your machine.

As for the Duron question.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'pSeries' but
I'll assume you mean your PowerPC chips in the AIX machine.  While your
AIX machine may be quite fast, x86 chips and the G4s are some of the
fastest chips when it comes to checking rc5-64 encryption.  Other chips
don't do as well even though you may expect them to do so.  It has to do
with which operations are performed in hardware and those that have to be
done using miniprograms made of other operations.  Obviously if the chip
is designed to do a certain operation in hardware its going to do it faster
than a chip which has to emulate it with a set of other instructions, often
many other instructions.

--
Scott Dodson  		PGP KEY id 0x5F9A9E5E
sdodson at sdodson.com