[RC5] rc5 and 2xPowerPC-RS64-III

James Spinks james at angelos.ftech.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 11:17:27 EDT 2002

Quoting "Jim C. Nasby" <jim at nasby.net>:
> Scott is correct in that the Power CPU doesn't have critical
> instructions needed to do RC5, so it has to emulate them, which is very
> costly. If you want to see the RS6000 really shine, compare the OGR
> rates; our 4 CPU machine at work gets 24Gn/s.

While I was already aware that different CPU architectures would obviously be
better suited to different projects, what I lack is sufficient knowledge to work
out which is which and how much difference it actually makes...

Does anybody have (or could anybody put together) a list of different
architectures, which projects they shine or struggle with etc.  Obviously as
detailed as possible (i.e. is there a difference between a 386 and a Athlon even
though they are both x86).

I seem to remember that there was a list of user-submitted benchmarks for
various combinations of architecture, OS, client etc. and I might have a bash at
trying for some basic results if I can find that again...

--
James Spinks
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net