[RC5] Possible challenge

Bruce Wilson bwilson at distributed.net
Thu Mar 7 08:26:34 EST 2002

I don't think it's an issue of whether brute force would work, or
whether distributed.net would be capable or interested in
participating.  The barrier is that we would not be eligible for the
prize.  Though the referenced page is ambiguous in places, that
snippet seems to clearly exclude the type of solution we would be
able to deliver.  The brute-force solutions we bring to the table are
not designed to discover the algorithm, just to discover the answer.

They are clearly offering this prize because they believe it will
cost more to discover a solution than the prize is worth.  Their
motivation is to "prove" (by never needing to give away the prize
money) that their algorithm is secure.  On the other hand, if someone
did discover a weakness to their algorithm, $100K is a reasonable
price to pay for such information, so they can improve their solution
further.

__

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.