[RC5] core questions

blitz blitz at macronet.net
Wed Mar 13 15:52:38 EST 2002

Then was the AMD core optimized for the available instruction set? Im sorry
i missed the discussion on it previously.
Checking, I see its using the  Core #5 RG Risc Rotate -II

By the way, I dropped a line to Jasonp about his core, and he is quite
informative, he also said I'm only the second person who's contacted about
his work since he wrote it. (1998)
I thanked him for his work on the project..an attaboy every now and then to
our volunteers, specially the indispensable coders is a good idea IMHO.
He's at jasonp at boo.net

At 20:59 3/12/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I think you are confusing MMX with 3dNow!.  My AMD K6 166, 200 and 233
>chips were all MMX. They licensed it from Intel I believe. Then they
>came out with 3DNow which added extensions to make the chip better at 3D
>video and audio than a Pentium chip.
>
>According to AMD:
>
>Q: How are MMXT and 3DNow!T technology different?
>
>A: MMXT technology was developed to improve the integer-intensive
>operations used in 3D rendering at the back end of the graphics
>pipeline. However, by the time MMX technology reached the market, 3D
>graphics accelerator performance had outpaced most of what MMX could do.
>While MMX technology can enhance integer-intensive applications, today's
>state-of-the-art graphics accelerators provide an optimal performance
>boost for 3D rendering. 3DNow!T technology complements and enhances the
>performance of these accelerator products by speeding up the
>floating-point-intensive, front-end stages of the graphics pipeline.

So...if properly coded, they might enhance "floating-point-intensive" RC5
calcs too??? (Im asking, cause I'm not a coder)