[RC5] CPU Temperature

Scott Campbell pondafarr at microgear.net
Thu Mar 14 06:53:18 EST 2002

Sure, here is a thermal paste shootout done by ClubOC.

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/thermal_paste/thermal_paste2/shootout
.htm

the white grease (a zinc oxide compound) rated higer than the self adhesive
Berquist pads (which are found on many HSF units), but still at the bottom
of the pack.

here is a snip:

CONCLUSION

     The big winner here is Millisec's Silver Thermal Compound.  This stuff
kicks ass and takes names!  When used on Peltier coolers where extreme heat
and cold are encountered, the Silver Compound really shines separating the
temperature gap even more.  But even then, there really isn't much
difference between the top 4.  At $19.00 you get what you pay for and you're
paying for unbeatable performance.

     The second best choice for performance is Outlaw's Copper Thermal
Paste.  It runs just 1 to 2 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the Silver
Compound and for only $5.50, this stuff takes a strong second place.  I also
want to note that Outlaw has improved his formula sense the earlier sample I
tested a while back.  This new Copper Paste is much thicker than before
making it easier to work with.

     The AOS/HTC comes in at a very close third to the Copper Paste.  I've
never seen this stuff before so I was shocked at how well it performed!  For
only $1.50 per tube, you just can't loose!

     The Zinc Oxide is right at it's usual 97? F.  I don't care much for
this stuff especially when used with Peltier Coolers.  It doesn't seem to
handle extreme temperatures very well and it has a tendency to dry out.

     The Aluminum Paste placed a disappointing 5th.  I really expected this
stuff to do better than the Zinc but I would still choose the Aluminum Paste
over the Zinc Oxide because of it's ability to withstand extreme
temperatures and it doesn't dry out.

     I wasn't very surprised about the Thermal Pads, they just are not known
for their cooling performance.  They are best put to use in areas such as
video processors and motherboard chipsets where heat isn't near as high as
today's high performance CPUs.  However, I love how these pads come precut
so all you have to do is peal and stick.

  Yes, i know one review does not a truth make, but you'll find similar
results at nost computer sites that have reviewed diffrent heat transfer
compunds
  [Scott Campbell]