[RC5] CPU Temperature

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Thu Mar 14 09:49:35 EST 2002

Related anecdote:

We used to run dnetc on all of the company's Windows 2000 workstations. We
had a few oddball machines (Celeron boxes, nonetheless!) that started
freezing up inexplicably. Suspecting heat problem, we removed dnetc, and the
problem went away. Rather than try to identify boxes on our network that
have marginal cooling out of hundreds of workstations, we decided to remove
dnetc from everything except IT workstations. Needless to say, my key rate
has fallen through the floor.

Now that 90% of our boxes are PIII or Athalons, with temperature alarms, I
might be able to convince management to start dnetc back up, but I doubt it.

	-ryan-