[RC5] Service Pause Option

Malte S. Stretz msquadrat.nospamplease at gmx.net
Tue Mar 19 20:59:34 EST 2002

On Tuesday, 19. March 2002 19:23 CET you wrote, at least in part:
> I'd have to question your motives here.  You are aware that you're
> only to install the client on machines which you either own or have
> been premission to install the software on.  Installing the software
> on machines where the owner does not give permission could cost us
> the ENTIRE contest, as per RSA rules.  Why are you going to such
> lengths to hide the fact that the dnetc client is running?

I've got the client installed in a network I administer in a similar
way. I have the official permission of the company's owner (it's a
small 10 person company). The workstations (running NT 4.0) except one
were crashing as often as before I installed the client. But suddenly
some employees were saying "Hey, my machine crashed again and there's
this service you've installed which eats 100% CPU time. I think it is
the culprit." I then put the pause option into each config file and
after a month or two I asked them if their boxes were still crashing.
"Yes, of course they do," they said, "but not as often as before."

HTH to understand :)
Malte
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net